Sunday 16 March 2014

Brown. Charles - Light Of The Dawn (2013)



To my knowledge, this is the debut album from the US guitarist Charles Brown.

This album has been inspired by the Apollo moon missions. It is also an instrumental guitar album. It is greatly helped by bass, keyboards and drums. All of them competently played.

The music is somewhere between symphonic prog, neo prog and prog metal. Charles Brown is competent in both shredding, power chords, harmonic and epic guitar riffs. There is plenty of space in between the shredding stuff. Most of the album comes across as pretty heavy. Prog metal is probably where most of you would label this album under. I label it as instrumental guitar prog. There is a lot more to this album than progressive metal.

When that is said, I should have a big sign around my neck saying "I don't like progressive metal and instrumental guitars prog". The songs here is decent to good. That also include the inclusion of the rather odd Marillion medley here. I don't feel that Charles Brown is bringing anything new to the genre. Nor does he raise the quality of the genre. I understand, as an author myself, that we should all express ourselves as we see fit. I applaud and salute Charles Brown for his expression of his inner self and wish he will find a more receptive audience than my home office, complete with a grumpy middle aged man. Those who like this genre, that is.

2.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment